Ever heard this one? Social Media Marketing is only for B2C companies.
We know that this is another one of those social media myths as we have a long list of B2B successes. However there are a few common mistakes that B2B companies make when approaching social media that helps to add to this myth that social media doesn’t work for them.
- Ignoring Partnerships – Just like you would partner with vendors and non-competing business offline, B2B companies need to take that approach online. What are your vendors doing in social media? Have you asked them about guest blogging back and forth? There are usually many unexplored opportunities there.
- Forgetting about LinkedIn – Executives at companies can have huge influence in LinkedIn by networking with prospective customers and addressing needs in LinkedIn’s Q&A area. Often this platform is ignored by top level executives for “real-world” networking when that networking could be much more efficient when conducted in LinkedIn. Also, you don’t have the constraints of a physical location.
- Broadcasting Information vs. Solving Problems – Typically in B2B marketing, the focus is getting out the message about the company. The problem is that type of message never works in social media. Yelling into the social media space about how great your company will fall on deaf ears but messages that are aimed at solving people’s problems will always have traction.
- Hiding Company Culture – The old adage of “People do business with the people that they like” holds true even today. It’s important to give people at glimpse behind the curtain in order to give them an opportunity to get to know you better.
- Expecting instant results – Social Media is a relationship based medium and you don’t ask someone to marry you on the first date. Building a solid relationship with your customers in social media is not instantaneous but over time B2B companies will almost certainly see improving customer retention and a decrease in cost per acquisition averages.
Have you seen B2B companies committing this social media mistakes? Would about B2B companies that are rocking it? We’d love to hear your thoughts!
You May Also Like
When it comes to social media marketing everyone thinks about Facebook and Twitter. However, LinkedIn can be just as valuable, if not more so for a B2B company. It's a legitimate way to network and make connections. Not integrating LinkedIn into your online presence is a mistake.